Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A Simple Dish of Banana Flower


The red bracts are removed and two things are discarded--
the hard filament(?) and the transparent papery portion.

The cleaned vegetable is blanched for a few minutes. Then
the water is squeezed out and to the chopping board!

The chopped veggie and the other ingredients--bay leaves,
dried chillies, onions, chilli powder, coriander and
fenugreek powder. Other ingredients not in the picture
but used in making the dish are--salt, turmeric powder,
oil, and fresh herbs for the garnish. I also added boiled
and diced potatoes to the dish.

Onions sauted, spices added, fried till the oil separated.
More chillies can be added depending on taste.

It's ready! A tasty accompaniment to a rice-based or a roti-
based (Indian bread) meal!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a spicy concoction. Thanks for the recipe.

sharp green pencil said...

Kanak .. hi from pencil and leaf and thanks for your message. I love your blog and seeing about all things Indian. I long to come to India for all sorts of reasons but until I do I can keep coming back to your blog ..Val

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Hi Kanak, A very interesting recipe for me. We have Bananas in the garden for the fruit. I have not known how to use the flowers. It is always good to learn recipes from other countries. Have the flowers a particular taste? It is very exotic and again beautifully presented.

Rhonda said...

Kanak,
I had no idea you could eat banana flowers..wow..this what I love about the internet..education at every turn. I'd try it if there were any banana flowers around these parts..darn it!

Unknown said...

PGL, so glad you stopped by. Thanks!

Val, I can't draw for nuts so it's always good to go over to Pencil and Leaf and admire your drawings and read about your subjects.
Thank you so much for your kind comments.

Hi Trudi/Rhonda,
Not all flowers are consumed. Some of the sweetest bananas have the bitterest flowers. Here edible (not bitter)ones are sold, so I don't have to find out myself.
It does have a particular taste but it's the kind that can be palatable to most.Without the spices the vegetable won't taste all that nice.
Thank you for your comments.

spookydragonfly said...

Mmmm....this sounds yummy...It looks delicious. It's so interesting to learn of different cultures.

tina said...

This looks really good. I wonder if it is too late to do it with my one banana flower? I heard you can eat them. If not, I will cut it today and try to prepare it.

Unknown said...

Kim/Tina,
Thanks. For this dish I only used most of the outer portion. When you get to the tender part, nothing needs to be discarded. The whole flower can be chopped up fine, blanched and cooked. Blanching is important because we don't want the taste of somewhat like having a not-fully-ripe-yet banana. That is foul!

Carla said...

I can't tell you how fascinating your food posts are! I didn't know you could eat this stuff!! Too cool-thank you for blogging-I enjoy your posts!