Pages

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Mexican Heather


I've had this pretty little plant for several years.
Little, because it grows to a height of 24" only.
Mexican Heather or cuphea hyssopifolia is a hardy
plant with tiny branches and oblong leaves. If the
plant did not bear a profusion of tiny purple flowers
it might be easily mistaken for a fern. From a distance,
of course! It seems to love the heat and the humidity
but since our summers can be cruel, I've recently
shifted the pot to partial shade. Didn't want to
take any chances!
I've read about Mexican heather bearing pink and
white flowers also, though I haven't seen them.
They must be pretty too!

4 comments:

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Cuphea hyssopifolia is a lovely plant. In my garden they seed profusely. There are lots of different shades of pink and naturally white. One seedling has very soft purple flowers very special. The dark pink, when massed look striking I have made borders along pathways.

Unknown said...

I can imagine how beautiful your pathway must be when they are in full bloom!

walk2write said...

We have Mexican heather growing next to the path to our front porch in Florida. The people who owned the house before us planted it, and it comes back reliably every year (the frost kills off the plant above ground). The one thing that is a little concerning is the fact that bees love it. They don't bother anyone in the family, but I have noticed visitors looking nervously at the buzzing insects when they approach the front door. Maybe the bees are looking out for us!

Unknown said...

walk2write,
Thanks for stopping by and I'm so glad to know bees love this plant! Haven't managed to get a good shot of a bee on my flowers yet! Will pop over to your blog soon!