Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Peak Time For These Beaks!



My lucky day! I'd always wanted to take pictures of a
kingfisher I'd seen ever since the great deluge started.
But every sighting also brought the realisation that they
are really shy birds, and any movement, even from as far
as 10 feet is enough for them to take off to blue or
green (depending on direction) infinity!
This morning this blue vividness calmly sat on this
branch. I got this shot but although I was Stealthy
with a capital S, it flew away.
As if that wasn't treat enough the black one descended on
another branch soon after the blue one left!

I included this bird because of the shape and size of its
beak. Thank heaven for this wire! At least I'm getting to
click them!
Then I came face to face with a mongoose. It was on the ledge
next to my neighbour's frangipani tree. The first thought that
came to me was--Ah! a picture of a mongoose! But I didn't get
the same response. It just looked at me with a 'I know your type!'
expression and was gone beyond the wall. But seeing it now gives
me the hope that soon I'll be able to take a picture of this
beautiful animal. Till then I'll be content with birds, and
more birds!

(Please click on the pictures for a better view).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wildlife isn't always cooperative about getting their picture taken. :) I've been trying to get a clear shot of a hummingbird for weeks now. :)

Carla said...

Wow! I'm looking forward to more!

tina said...

Wow a mongoose! That is a big bird too bad it is so shy.

Unknown said...

Very true PGL.

You won't be disappointed Carla!

Tina, we do have quite a few snakes in our area so it's heartening to see mongooses. Of course I'm still waiting for a photo-op!