Pages

Monday, March 24, 2008

Wind blown

A capricious wind ruled the roost the other day.
It first started with the sounds--of the frenzied
shaking of the coconut and betel nut trees; an
unhinged window banging against the wall, al-
most shattering the pane; the dull thud of a
certain heavy something f.a.l.l.i.n.g...............
And then a little pile of dry leaves landing
with a raspy swish near my feet. Then, as
suddenly as it had come, it was gone. Silence.
What wind? Wasn't it another sunny March
morning? New leaves, buds, birdsong --the
almost tangible feel of Spring.
After the dust was swept, it started again,
fiercer this time.Sand and dust blew every
which way creating a haze outside.
My chilli plants were bent backward and for-
ward against the onslaught. I quickly cut some
bamboo and drove the sticks into the ground
forming a support for the plants. Then I tied
plant and bamboo with bits of  string. Ah,
respite from Nature's fury. I left them holding
their heads high after the blow!
And talking about bamboo,I was pleasantly
surprised to see several blogs dedicated to
the plant. I thought I was the only one raving
about the virtues of the fastest growing plant!

No comments: